In the middle of the Great Depression, two weeks of tent meetings were held in the Rossmere neighborhood of Lancaster. Soon a Sunday School began to meet first in a home on Francis Avenue and later inside a storefront around the corner. A few years later a lot at 741 Janet Ave was given to the group and on November 12, 1939 Rossmere Mennonite Church held its first service.
Over the following decades the church continued to meet for worship and discipleship. Rossmere also engaged in ministry and outreach to the neighborhoods that surrounded the former Stehli Silk Mill. After the mill ceased operations, Rossmere continued to reach out by holding summer Bible schools and sponsoring young men who came to do their 1W/conscientious objector alternative service in the area.
Today Rossmere is a mix of children and adults who are together travelling the journey of faith. We support both local and global ministries as we follow the call of Jesus in our own lives. We’re not perfect, and we don’t always get it right, but we hope that through our times of worship, service, learning, and fellowship we are able to “disciple and nurture each other in embodying the values of Jesus Christ’s life and teachings, to share the gospel of Jesus Christ locally and globally, and invite all to become his disciples.”