Two-week tent meetings held in June, 1935, followed by Sunday School being held in a
home on Frances Avenue, marked the beginning of the new “mission” at Rossmere. Then in
October a store-room was rented for the growing group and by June, 1939 the property at 741
Janet Avenue was purchased with a building being constructed by November of that year.
As additional room was needed, we moved into our current renovated building in March, 2008.
In the early days Mennonites were attracted to mission churches in Lancaster because
they were not as conservative as rural congregations. RMC mission interest has been important
in other ways with the sending of missionaries to other countries; having young adults live at
Mary’s House beside the church as an intentional community that provided activities for children
(until our renovation); and having a women’s group that meets during the school year. Many at
Rossmere have noted that the sense of “family” has been special to them. We currently have a
growing number of families with young children who live nearby and can walk to church, along
with sharing garden-plots on our church property with others from the community. We are excited
to see what doors this will open as we grow vegetables and friendships with our nearby neighbors.